Lake Orion packing / moving survival guide. Tips from those who have lived through the experience.
There is no shortage of advice on moving. There are books devoted to the subject, ideas on the Internet and most moving companies offer tips. But there’s nothing like benefiting from the wisdom of those who have gone before you. That’s right, people who have made moves and are still coherent enough to talk about it.
The following 10 tips were culled from people who gave their best advice.
1. Start early. By far the top advice offered, packing takes longer and is more difficult than most think.
2. Think thin. Go through your belongings and decide what you really need and want to keep.
3. Label everything. Don’t just label each box with the room in which it belongs, write down the contents.
4. One at a time. Stay organized and pack 1 room fully and then move on to the next.
5. Gang box. Put smaller items in small boxes and put small boxes into a bigger box.
6. Take it with you. Any personal financial information and important papers should be taken with you or shipped to you by family or a friend after your move-in.
7. Value valuables. Most moving companies would rather you not ship your highly valuable items, such as jewelry, artwork and collections.
8. Essential fact. Always have a box for essentials that you will want or need when everything is delivered to your new home, remember, last on first off.
9. Inventory. Make a list of every box that goes on the moving van and take it with you.
10.Think outside the box. For items you think will be stored in the attic, garage or closet at your next home, consider getting inexpensive plastic storage bins.
Donald Horne, Team Success Listing
Associate Broker for Coldwell Banker Shooltz Realty
Sell My Lake Orion Home